Pages

Monday, November 13

My Quotebook

It came as a gift from my curly-haired third grade teacher, Mrs. Barnhart, this blue cloth-covered book did. I even have the date written in it, from 1991, in my awkward handwriting. The first few poems are also in such a childish scrawl, soon followed by smoother and more rounded letters in later entries. Quotes, witty sayings, proverbs, deep thoughts, life advice, sassy remarks, song lyrics, children’s poems, my own love poems and whatnot are kept within these pages. I don’t always remember when I added what quote, but each one is accompanied by the general impression of a certain time period or location. I go for variety with changing colors and assorted penmanship.

It contains a collection of thoughts for my own benefit, and stemming from my own interests throughout the years. But I like being able to share it with people. So the quotes and poems find their way into letters and blogs and cards (perhaps you have noticed?). I have some favorite ones, of course. But there is one that catches my eye whenever I pass it. Just three words, centered on the line in gray ink and followed by the source:

COME FOLLOW ME. -Jesus

I’ve tried to find analogies and phrases to explain what these words conjure up in my heart and my mind. I cannot. So many thoughts parade in my mind, but the invitation of discipleship from Jesus of Nazareth, spoken in times past and rewritten in neat handwriting in my little book some 7 years ago, is a life-altering invitation to certain death, in a sense. I don’t think my quotebook has more challenging words than these. I even have four blank pages left to fill in the next phase of life and the interests therein, but none of the additions I think, will eclipse this invitation or the man who gave it.

2 comments:

mreddie said...

There is no greater invitation that could be given - and given by one that loves us more than all others. ec

Yours Truly said...

That is what makes the invitation unlike any other!