...Alcohol! Say what!!?
Read this tragic tale in the Finnish newspaper or on BBC.
And another, not so nice tale of a night on the streets.
This is the city I live in, and they are the people I see.
I wrote a poem last year after riding on Saturday night train next to three young girls who were quite drunk. I listened to their conversation with a heavy heart, and I needed an expressive outlet for my sadness, thus:
Glazed dark eyes, no light in them.
Smudge of make-up, a voice too loud
and sway too wide to be
going straight home. Stay with friends,
because her mum doesn't mind a few
extra drinks. Strange, this feeling, maybe
should stop this habit, but
stuck in a rut, dragged into
a pattern by hunger for
approval, youthful curiosity, boredom
soul-reaching depression, kicks,
lack of parental care--take your pick, or
add some more--
she's searching for...what? not knowing,
not even imagining what life
could be, would be, should be,
if she were free.
5 comments:
so true
love it
Verses so true and so sad - describes those in this country as well. They use the freedom to do these things to bring themselves into slavery. ec
so true in my country as well... tragic.
Humm......
Gem, thanks! I like your poetry too!
ec, yep. It is something that seems to be everywhere.
es, seems like no country is exempt. Here it's not just social drinkin, they drink to get drunk. sad.
trekker, hummm.... :) Or ho hum, or yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...to go along with the theme of the post.
Post a Comment