
Snow is beautiful. It covers the brown world with a soft white blanket, and coats tree branches with frosting. It can be brilliant and crisp on a morning with sunshine, but that was not this morning.

Snow is cold. It melts and becomes mud, it gets in the little cracks between your scarf and skin and did I mention, it's cold? (I shall not even bother to embarrass myself by telling you how many layers I had on this morning!)
I sat on the train (after tramping for 20 minutes through snow....melting snow), determined to find some bright spot in the grey day, some warming comfort in spite of the cold. My coworkers, also of Latin American blood, decided that the bright spot had to be the moment when it's actually snowing. "It's silent, unlike when it rains in South America," they said, and at that moment it is beautiful and peaceful. "But just that moment," my boss added with a laugh.
Upon some more consideration, I concluded that it is not actually the snow that bothers me, as it is beautiful. It is the dark and the cold, yes this is what seeks to drag my mood to the murky ditch, or at least makes me wish that I could sit at home with a cup of coffee and just stare outside instead of venture out. Anyway, enough dissecting. I'm sure that as the winter progresses, it will be just one more thing I get used to, and even learn to enjoy! (See drawings below for fun winter possibilities!!)


No comments:
Post a Comment