I lived in the US for four years. You would think that I would remember something as important as my social security number.
But when my university application asked for it, I drew a blank. It stopped the process and I had to find one of the many suitcases in my aunt's attic and leaf through random documents from lives past in order to find it.
I found it, though.
Which made me think of when I got it in Colorado, something like ten years ago. I remember thinking, "Now I will be in the system permanently. I am a number."
They may be remembering me soon, if this application process gets me anywhere...but now I have begun remembering them--that large, diverse and vibrant collective called the American system.
But when my university application asked for it, I drew a blank. It stopped the process and I had to find one of the many suitcases in my aunt's attic and leaf through random documents from lives past in order to find it.
I found it, though.
Which made me think of when I got it in Colorado, something like ten years ago. I remember thinking, "Now I will be in the system permanently. I am a number."
They may be remembering me soon, if this application process gets me anywhere...but now I have begun remembering them--that large, diverse and vibrant collective called the American system.
No comments:
Post a Comment