O come, o come, Emmanuel...
I was struck today by the longing represented in one little candle lit to signify the beginning of the advent season. The word "advent" comes from the Latin adventus, meaning coming. The season doesn't only commemorate the longing for the Messiah's birth, but also a longing for his return.
Today begins a season of waiting and preparation for what is coming. In all that I hope for, is the return of the King something I long for, and am preparing for? Is the hope I have in him like that candle, a steady flame illuminating the darkness, so that what is hidden may be revealed, and that those in the land of darkness may begin to see?
I was struck today by the longing represented in one little candle lit to signify the beginning of the advent season. The word "advent" comes from the Latin adventus, meaning coming. The season doesn't only commemorate the longing for the Messiah's birth, but also a longing for his return.
Today begins a season of waiting and preparation for what is coming. In all that I hope for, is the return of the King something I long for, and am preparing for? Is the hope I have in him like that candle, a steady flame illuminating the darkness, so that what is hidden may be revealed, and that those in the land of darkness may begin to see?
No comments:
Post a Comment