...spring forward." That is the phrase that helps me remember which direction to change the clock when daylight savings begins and ends. Our secretary at work has a different way of remembering. "I just think about how everything longs for the summer. The Fall looks back to the summer that passed, so the time moves back an hour. The Spring looks forward to summer that is coming, trying to speed it up by an hour." I like her way of thinking about it. Here where the seasons are so distinct and the winters so dark, it is no wonder that summer is the long-awaited magical season.
This fall has felt different than my earlier ones. While I am still no friend of the darkness, I feel more settled and happy than I did before. It is part of the continuing process of arriving at different levels of adjustment, I'd say. Some things take years. I even look at the temperature nowadays and think, "Wow, it's 8 degrees today, that's warm!" Insane isn't it, how relative temperature can be! In Ecuador, 8 degrees feels like frostbite, here it is an excuse to wear a skirt. This contentment does not mean I want to stay here forever, but it does mean that I will be well for however long God has me here. And you know what? It feels good.
3 comments:
I just think of the fact that for winter, we get to sleep longer. :) (although it's just that one night that we do ;)).
Funny, I also feel more content with the Fall this year. With time, I guess, things grow on us. The Fall is so gorgeous in this part of the world, don't you think? :D
I do enjoy the changing of the seasons, no matter which we might be going into. Spring is always my favorite but I just like the changes - it would be uninspiring to have the same all the time. ec
es--the fall is amazing!!! I have really enjoyed it this year, it is gorgeous in the northern hemisphere. Aaah, the colors.
ec--it is nice to have change. I grew up with no seasons, so I guess you find other ways to mark time, like school beginning and ending. And spring is among the most magical of seasons!
Post a Comment