Pages

Monday, November 5

your personal city guide: cafes

Should you ever end up in my fair city, lacking a hot cup of coffee or tea and a place to escape the winter chill, let me offer a few subjective suggestions to choose from. I am a cafe junkie since my Colorado days, and I like visiting new places, in search of "the perfect cafe," as my sister puts it (of course, she adds "the perfect cappuccino and the perfect man" as well!). There are many places to go, the choice depending on the atmosphere you are searching for and the reason you are going: studying, socializing, meeting, dating, resting, waiting, etc.

My three favorites of the moment are: Bulevardin Kahvisalonki, which incidentally, is right below my work place on the corner of Mannerheim and Bulevardi. I like it for its big windows that face the street and offer prime seating for people watching. Their salads are refreshing, and they have good tea. One of my friends worked there for a while, and due to her knowledge of Asian tea, they had specialty tea weeks at the beginning of the year. It makes the list because it is a convenient and easy-to-find locale, and either feels neutral or cozy depending on the company. It is, therefore, versatile for all sorts of meetings.

Wayne's is across the street from my workplace, and I avoided it for some time, simply because it belongs to a chain, and I prefer the idiosyncrasies of mom&pop shops. But what hooked me is their regular coffee, which elsewhere I don't usually get because it leaves me disappointed with its bitter flavor. I also enjoy the music, the red wall, free internet hook-up and sofa seats. If I want to read or converse, this is where I go. Funny enough, I see a lot of young mothers there as well! I wonder if they have a club...

My new favorite cafe rocks! Literally. It is a lovely old boat named Kathrina that has recently migrated from another dock to to anchor by the market square until May 1. The lighting inside is provided by lanterns that have maps on them and the tables are flanked by wide cushioned benches that go along the beams of the wall. The occasional sensation of rocking takes a bit of getting used to, but the atmosphere is warm and unique, drawing plenty of tourists of all languages. The coffee is drinkable and the sandwiches are tasty.

Honorable mentions go to the likes of Cafe Engel by the Senate Square, where I recommend the biannual Poetry&Jazz readings; the tiny Robert's in CityKäytävä where there is a toasty corner to sit in on a rainy day; and Caruselli by the sea because it is open and has a lovely fireplace in the winter! There are plenty of others, but they either lack homeyness or distinctiveness.

9 comments:

mreddie said...

Thanks for the tour and information, now it remains for me to get there - maybe some day. I do enjoy good hot tea. ec

One Runner Walking... said...

it won't be in winter but I still look forward to enjoying the cafes with you when I visit. The atmospheres, the food, but mostly the coversation. :-)

Yours Truly said...

ec--I guess good tea can be enjoyed many places, but I do recommend a visit to these northern lands!!

gem--oh most certainly!!! when may I expect you then?? :)

Nellik said...

Moi! Jos ollaan Hesassa joulukuussa niin joku naista paikoista olis hauska tapaamispaikka :) Ihana taas tulla joulumaisemiin Suomeen! I can't wait!!

Yours Truly said...

Nelli--tosi kiva idea!!! Toivottavasti pääsette tänne Hesaan! Suomessa on kyllä eri joulutunnelma kuin SoCalissa!!! Hali!

Anonymous said...

you make me want to come back so badly... I haven't visited all of these, so now I DO have to come back! :) Beware!

Yours Truly said...

es--yes you DO have to come back!!!! Arms wide open is how I'm waiting, not beware...heheheheh!

One Runner Walking... said...

well...since you are visiting me this coming summer...I think I will hold off to the next so we can see each other two years in a row :-) It's crazy how lengths of time can seem so reasonable even though so far apart.

Yours Truly said...

Hahahah! Yeah, it is crazy and reasonable at the same time. But, no guarantees I'll be here two years from now. If I am, welcome. And if I'm in Dubai, welcome there too!