Pages

Wednesday, September 26

found on a train

"You got a letter from the Lost and Found Center," my roommate pointed to the white envelope on the shelf by the door.
"Huh?" I read the envelope and marveled that there would be such a place as a national lost and found. But as to why I was being contacted, I couldn't imagine.
"Open it! I'm curious to know what it says!" she prodded me, as I tried to go through a mental checklist of any belongings I might be missing. Well, the letter revealed nothing, only that they had something of mine that I needed to retrieve or pay to have mailed to me. Obviously, the item had my personal information, since they knew to contact me.

Because the idea of exploring new sections of Helsinki appealed to me, today I went in person to pick it up from an office where I obviously wasn't the only absentminded client coming to claim missing property! I was amused at the quantity of numerically tagged umbrellas that filled plastic barrels (the one with the red tulip handle was quite unique) and the boxes by the wall labeled, "gloves found on public transportation."

The old lady ahead of me in line turned in some keys she had found discarded in the grass. Perhaps those nondescript keys will remain unclaimed like so many of those umbrellas. But in my case, I was thankful that this system in Finland works, because I hadn't even known my passport was missing!

7 comments:

Karoliina said...

How is that even possible? To loose a passport and not miss it!

mreddie said...

A national lost and found is quite a concept - a good one though. Did you notice a storage section of 'found' peace of mind? It seems that many in our world are missing theirs. ec

WorldTrekker said...

What? Your Passport! How could you lose that and not know? It has apparently been far too long since your last voyage across foreign borders! But wow, what great people there are in the world. I think that they are becoming harder and harder to find every day...

One Runner Walking... said...

the passport point seems to have been made...but a national lost and found?! That's sweet!

Yours Truly said...

Karoliina--it's crazy, i know! I'm just as astounded...i thought my passport was safe on my desk at home! it's even a new biometric passport that i had to get for my russia trip.

ec--i hope many do experience that found peace of mind, at least from the recovery of small things, and hopefully in the greater things of life as well!

trekker--i know, i'm so thankful to whomever gave the passport to an official. it must've been in august sometime....

gem--yes, passport point duly noted, i can't believe my own cluelessness. and now i know where to take something if i find it!!!! Hurrah for lost&found!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Anything but a passport?! :) My heart would skip a beat or two or... fifty. :|

Yours Truly said...

I know!!! I would've been in a tizzy if I had known it was missing. Thankfully, I was getting it back by the time I knew it was gone!!