I'm living another first! It is the first Dec. 6th that I can remember being in Finland! I have celebrated the independence days of other countries many times, and this is the first time I am celebrating the independence of my birth country while I'm present in it! We've had a nice meal, and watched some very traditional and patriotic programs on TV, and will soon be watching the President's Ball, where all the big name people go celebrate and the ordinary folks stay at home and critique the pretty clothes, heh (sounds a bit like the Oscars). My boss will be there this evening!
Finland is a very young country when compared to many in Europe, born in 1917. When studying our history, you find that most of it is the history of 800 years of Swedish rule and then 100 years or so of Russian rule. This past weekend we visited an island fortress called Suomenlinna, and discovered that it had been constructed to defend the Swedish empire from Russia and actually had little use as a fortress. But after the Russians took over, this fort was the reason that the capital moved from Turku near the Swedish border, to Helsinki where today it remains. Finland enjoys being a peaceful country, and today the island is a walkable historical site and a popular wedding setting! (Which at this time of year was freezing!)
Today has mostly been for rest, as I find myself quite spent. I had a lovely weekend with my highschool friends and enjoyed introducing them to Finnish life. We had plenty of long conversations about politics and theology and our experiences, and in general, about where our classmates have ended up around the world. I would never have guessed that the next time I saw these friends from Ecuador together we would be in wintery Finland! And the next time...who knows?!!
But now, as I hear our national anthem in the background, I wish "Happy Independence Day Finland!"
2 comments:
So that's the reason for it! It's Finnish Independence Day!
Yesterday we celebrated St. Claus' Day in Poland. :) So FINALLY I got the connection- St. Nick + Finland. :) Stupid me, I have never realized that before... I remember celebrating St. Nick's since I was very little.
And by the way, Finland is one year older than Poland! :) Poland has been independent since Nov 11, 1918. So as your "little sister" I wanted to wish you all the best on this day! :)
And a piece of bonus information: Iceland is independent since Dec 1, 1918. I know this does not have anything to do with Poland nor Finland, but I thought I'd share. ;))
:) Of course it's important, one must know the independence days of countries one plans to visit, yes?! And we are meeting in iceland someday, right, wink! When's Poland's independence day? Completely off topic, I see the sun outside! Wow! Took me by surprise. Miss you friend!
Post a Comment