"One word frees us of all the weight and pain in life. That word is love." -Sophocles
What Sophocles was thinking when he said this, I don't know. But this phrase often comes to my mind at odd moments when love opens the otherwise closed and fearful caves of my life by unexpected words of love and actions of love.
But, the concept of Word...I have wandered down this road of thought often enough also, when I read the Bible and find the "Word became flesh," "In the Beginning was the Word," God's word "dwelling" in people, and hearing the words of Jesus. If that Word that existed before all the worlds and universes were created, that intelligence and wisdom by which all that exists came to be, became flesh, then what is "word" here on earth today? Is it not those who seek to imitate and know this original word? Jesus' words bring life and hope, and if his being was the embodiment of the Word that contains all treasures of knowledge and wisdom of That Which is Beyond (John 1), that says something about the essential character of where and whom he came from--because what he showed on earth was love. And when that kind of love is still found in actions, in speech, in motive today, then it frees us of weight and pain.
And we're back to love. And not the commercialized and trivialized, self-seeking love. But something so different that it does not skip any person, and ignores not even the lowliest or most broken being. It is a love that puts back together pieces that were in wrong places, and brings peace to the confused. It is love that breaks barriers of race, of language, and even time. It is love that finds its beginning in the character of the Word that created all. And it must still be around today. It has to be. Because in the midst of the ugliness, and the pain and the weight I carry around, it arrives gently, and gives me hope.
Anyway, I am well aware that my words here are inadequate, and my thoughts even more so, for I have not before attempted to write down any of these thoughts that ponder connections of metaphysical realities and faith. Take it for what it is. It's really a thanks and a smile, because the word of love is freeing, and as I see it, it's to be found in Jesus and people who want to be like him.
No comments:
Post a Comment