It's the time of year when the university libraries become overpopulated. Only the early birds get the computers, and those that go looking for a free workspace in the afternoon can climb the stairs to multiple floors, full of hundreds of computers, or even visit other library locations, and not find a single available place. The air of the library is thick with end-of-the-semester stress, words and sentences hanging around, waiting for their placement in that essay you've been putting off because it took you that long to find a fitting topic.
But I got to the student library at noon yesterday and was happy when the guy in front of me did not proceed to the available computer I had been eyeing. Logging in takes a few minutes, so I glanced around. I saw some similar hunched over postures that gave me a good idea of what I must look like. Some students were on facebook. Others typed industriously. The girl diagonally in front of me had plenty of text on her page, but she was distractedly twirling a strand of blonde hair around her finger. She looked at the strand and clipped a split end with her bright pink nails. The color must have distracted her, because she inspected the polish and her cuticles. I was amused.
I printed out the rough draft of my last section of thesis turned it in. Today I will begin the final editorial process. I have to turn it all in next week! But I am at home, not distracted by split ends or the search for a computer. Instead, it's the beckoning sun I see through the window and the crisp blue sky that tempt me to go outside. Soon, I promise myself. After I have made progress I can go cure my posture with a run around the inlet. Or visit facebook. Or paint my nails. Soon.
3 comments:
Voi hurjuus! Tsemppppiiää vielä, ihanat lopunajan tunnelmat leijunevat ympärilläsi! Hetki vain ja olet vihreillä niityillä ja juot cappucinoa hikisille muistoille! Soon indeed.
Praying for extra focus and clarity during these last few days of post-editing.
What's the topic of your thesis?
Elli, those days have arrived!!! Just need you to share a coffee moment with me! :)
Adele, thank you so much for your prayers!!!! I find it amazing that I am done, and I do thank God for how he helped me.
My thesis topic: Love in the East and West: A Comparison of Romeo and Juliet and Majnun Layla. (compared two somewhat similar love stories thematically. I also included some background information on Arabic Love Theory and the influence of Arabic literature on European literature.)
Whew! but for graduation paperwork, all is done! Hurrah!
Post a Comment