Pages

Saturday, March 1

jumping into pictures

I have just visited the high snow peaks and verdant mountainsides of Nepal and checked out the luxurious interior of a train chugging through vast Siberia. I skipped the friendly elephants in Botswana, although I do like the big ears of this African species. I also considered the adventurous treehouse hotel in Connecticut, but thought that I could just settle for the icy swimming holes readily available right in this country. All this without leaving my cozy spot on the couch or my coffee cup! All this because some silver-tongued salesman persuaded me to order a year's subscription to MONDO, a brightly illustrated and tantalizing Finnish travel magazine. I have been living vicariously through it on this lazy and gray Saturday morning!

So if you were sitting next to me on the couch with your coffee, and after we had dreamed up our next journey to a new destination among the myriads of fascinating ones on the planet, we could continue to chat about actual travels. And I could perhaps ask you if you knew anyone in Prague I could stay with when I stop over in that romantic city on my way to Poland next month. If you answered negatively, I could consider finding a friendly stranger though the Hospitality Club or by Couchsurfing. Then before the topic turned to world news or the day's activities, and as we drained our mugs and stared out at the cold March day, I could ask,

so where are YOU going next (and can I fit into your suitcase, please)?!

5 comments:

Karoliina said...

Going to Florida around April 12th for about a week. Tour midwest, with you hopefully, sometime in Juneish.

Anonymous said...

Ah I know these feelings so well! :) I'm subscribed to NG Traveler, and Rafael and I just "visited" Cuba and Carribean Islands last week! :)) hehe
My next travels? Prague in April, and Prague in June. Lol! :D Right now I'm wondering what to do in the beginning of May, cause Rafael and I have a 5-day weekend to plan!

I cannot wait to have you here! :D

Anonymous said...

I just flew back from North Carolina... next adventures will hopefully be with you!! Didn't we meet that couple on the train to Romania that were from Prague? Do you still have their address?
Love you sista...

mreddie said...

The Spice and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in April with a group from our Sunday school class. But I find the older I get, the more I normally just like to stay home and putter in the yard and garden. ec

Yours Truly said...

karoliina, yes, email forthcoming about june. still so much up in the air about my summer plans!

essy, how was cuba? :) mmm, a five day weekend is plenty of time to go somewhere fun! but looking forward to prague and your hometown before that!

sis, i just found it today as i leafed through office papers! and yes, we have plenty of adventures coming up! :)

ec, oo! a cruise sounds relaxing! yes, i wonder how wanderlust and travel are age-related. or maybe they are personality related. or life-situation related.