Pages

Sunday, December 23

just being

The coffeemaker is dripping in the kitchen. I also hear sounds of family talking, making jokes, washing dishes and talking about going to the beach. Instrumental Christmas music is also playing as I sit at the dining room table typing for those of you who may glance at this.

I am a world away from my usual life, it seems. The sights and sounds in this country are so familiar and charged with memories that creep up on me, silently escaping from behind a rusted door labeled Childhood Memories. The paradox is that this country had such an impact on who I have become, yet now I feel like a stranger here. It's always weird to come back, yet soothing at the same time.

We have been busy. After I traveled 24 hours to get here, the very next day we drove to the jungle. Due to poor weather which impeded our flight into the jungle, our plans for trekking to different villages shrunk down to a quick visit to my parents' village and one nearby. They have a jungle house in the making, and it is a great deal nicer than I expected! The flea-infested yet endearing children gathered around us curiously, silently watching and waiting eagerly to be in any picture we took of the area. We also saw friends and made Brent's dream come true by seeing monkeys. I would post pictures, but I seem to have lost my camera...

Our adventures have included climbing up to the crater of an extinct volcano. It was amazing! But I can also tell you that I wouldn't want to try it again unless I were acclimated to the altitude first! I thought I would die on the way up (4000m = 14,000ft), or at least pass out from lack of oxygen! Thanks to gatorade, chocolate and my dad's encouragement, I made it to the top to see the snowcapped peaks of a mountain I had only seen for years at a distance. That day, we spent about six hours traveling by mule on steep muddy trails of the Andes!

More adventures (to the beach!) are on hold until after Christmas. I think Sonja and I will decorate cookies today and enjoy the approach of the Eve at our parents' home. May you also enjoy the approach of the holiday commemorating Jesus' birth, and may your soul and spirit know the peace only he can bring!

5 comments:

Alejandro said...

Hi yous truly, feliz Navidad, I was reading your post and what a surprise find out that you are a TCK, wow that kind explain your wonderful personality sorry for your camera, la manera en que escribes en los dos idiomas es estraordinario tienes mucho talento como escritora,take care.

mreddie said...

Great description, I could almost hear the laughter and coffee dripping. I also noticed the rust on the door of childhood memories - I use a special oil on mine. :) Sure hope you find your camera - would like to see the photos. ec

Anonymous said...

to think and imagine where you are blows me away. :) i'm so happy for you, and part of me wishes I was there too... much love for the whole family! come back safely soon! :)

Carlos Botero said...

Going back home... I understand what you might feel. Being there brings you memories of nice moments in the past, though we all change with the time and now we make all places a little of us, but somehow in any place we still feel that there is something missing... "Home" becomes a more complex concept every time, but still there are so many reasons why to enjoy every moment, here and there...

Enjoy and treasure each of those moments!

Yours Truly said...

alejandro--yep, TCK it is...always a bit complicated, but a great life! The camera is lost. :(

ec--although the camera is gone (great excuse to get a new one) I will post some photos that came from others' cameras!

essy--thank you dear! it was lovely! and it's a place you should definitely visit, no that I'm biased toward it or anything... ;)

carlos--so well said, so true! it was wonderful and i do treasure it!

all of you--may your new year be a happy and growing one!