Pages

Monday, April 30

M&Ms

I must've been six, and he was twelve. Twelve seems very old when you are only six. So, of course I believed him when he told me that the green ones are for wishes. "You have to wish the wish while you eat it," he said. His name was Clinton, and he would know.

Growing up, I even added my own interpretations to each color, pretending they were my pills to increase the amount of certain characteristics. The blue ones are for increasing hope; the brown ones for humility, the orange for endurance, red for love and yellow for sunshine and joy.

I still view each color as a reminder or a prayer. Blue, to remind me where my hope is placed. Red, a wish for love. Brown, for humility in my learning process. Orange, a prayer for endurance when the journey is difficult. And yellow, well, yellow is necessary all the time, especially after a Finnish winter!

And I'm far from six nowadays, but I still make wishes on the green ones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I would also hold on to the meanings. :) And I will write it down actually, and buy myself some M&M's tomorrow. :) Love you, miss you!!!

Yours Truly said...

Yes, they are a tasty kind of medication!!! ;) I miss you too, dear!

mreddie said...

That story is so cool! It also took me back a few years as well to some few different meanings of M&Ms when we were kids. ec

Yours Truly said...

How fun! It's nice to hear that other people have similar quirks! :)