Pages

Thursday, December 7

the day after

Yesterday was our Independence Day. Finland celebrated her 89 years of self-rule and freedom!

I used my freedom from work and class to sleep in later than 6, and go through my Islam course notes. I also drew upon my capabilities of self-rule and decided to go running, because I actually had the possibility to be outside as the muted daylight made her brief appearance on the horizon (according to today's pape, the sun rises at 09:07 and sets at 15:15. Yes, that's six hours and eight minutes, and counting!). I enjoyed the melancholy beauty of a forest stripped of leaves, yet decorated with puddles and green grass that has mistaken the warmth in weather for an early spring. In the evening, as the President's grand independence gala at the palace was well under way, I joined international friends and acquaintances for a celebratory dinner at a Nepalese restaurant that boasted some fabulous paintings of mountains and temples. The food and company were lovely as well.

And now it is the day after. The fashions of the President's gala have been critiqued, I overslept my alarm this morning, and I can actually see glimpses of blue sky outside of my window (a good reminder that above all the gray clouds, the sun is still shining)! In spite of all the studying, working and partying to be done in the next five days, I am at peace right now. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm too tired to expend the energy that stress requires! But mostly, it is because I know Whom my life belongs to, and that His guidance and love are what true freedom is about!

Mne harasho.

5 comments:

mreddie said...

You have widened my horizons - I wasn't aware that Finland had an independence day. I did smile at "the fashions of the President's gala have been critiqued". The very last sentence of your post is so very insightful and so very true - we can never have freedom without accepting the one that died to make us free - amen! ec

Yours Truly said...

ec--Yes, Finland independicized (that's probably not a word) from Russia way back then. It was under Swedish rule before that. We've done ok on our own so far!...

Anonymous said...

6 hours of day! That's crazy! I want to be there! :)
(yeah, and I was complaining, because here the day is about 9 hours long ;))

Yours Truly said...

I'll take nine! I so will take nine hours!! But you being here would make up for it... :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

hey laura, this is sherry, Crystal's friend. Bear with me: Jeg ikke vet om De leser dette. det sannsynlig dårlig oversetter. jeg prøver gjøre noe spesiell for vår venn. kan De sender Deres email adresse til meg på maddyfx@yahoo.com ? takk, Laura !

Crystal said you also speak French. If that doesn't make sense, maybe this will: Je ne sais pas si vous pouvez lire ceci. il mal est probablement traduit. j'essaie de faire le spécial de quelque chose pour notre ami. pourrait vous envoie votre adresse e-mail à moi à maddyfx@yahoo.com ? merci, Laura !