Pages

Friday, August 25

Yesterday: Night of the Arts

As the August night slowly darkens, the light rain ceases and the night life begins, I find myself as part of a crowd gathered before a small stage behind the national museum. Inky tree silhouettes frame the section of opaque sky that I can see above me. I am aware of the curious smell of wet skin and hair, a hint of salami from someone's breath, and even alcohol wafting from those who began their festivities with an overdose in the local bar. And then the air is suddenly filled with the powerful sound of Italian and German opera arias. I can feel my skin turn to goose bumps as the beautiful soprano on stage ends her solo with a powerful and clear finalé. She is an expert performer, knowing just the right amount of expression and vivaciousness to convey as she sings to her appreciative audience.

It is Night of the Arts in Helsinki. About 10,000 visitors have arrived in the city to enjoy a selection of the 140 different venues of art that are offered to the public. Museums are free and open late. Pyromaniacs display their skills with whirling fire batons and chains. Various musical and ethnical performances dot the city in theaters, street corners, cafés and parks so that walking is an exercise in dodging oncoming bikes and maneuvering through the masses of curious onlookers. Needless to say, I am a bit tired today, but the night was enjoyable. I also left early, so I missed the the pro-graffiti protest where the police arrested some hundred young people before they caused too much damage!!! I guess everyone has their own ideas of what "art" is!

4 comments:

One Runner Walking... said...

That sounds amazing! I wish I could have been there with you. I still look forward to enjoying my first real taste of opera.

mreddie said...

That sounded like quite a night - and the getting arrested is a good thing to miss. :) ec

One Runner Walking... said...

where did you go?!!!

Yours Truly said...

Gem--sorry! So busy. That night began a series of events that has left me little time to blog. Perhaps I'll have a chance to update soon!

ec--yeah, wouldn´t want to end up in the slammer with a bunch of grafittists! Hope all is well your way!