Pages

Monday, August 21

Hermanita

Darling,

I walked across the train bridge in Heinola on Saturday. It was a beautiful August afternoon with sunlight playing hide-n-seek with the shadows on the Harjupaviljonki hill and the Kymi River peacefully flowing underneath the few fishing boats and various bridges. I thought of how you always make me laugh with your insane fancy to jump off that bridge. I would have to go in after you, you know. Or I would have to wait for you below, because I get queasy jumping off of heights. :) I walked back to Mummola along the shore road, where about a year ago we walked together. The current made swirling designs on the river's surface and I missed you something fierce.

I always like entering the apartment building where Mummo and Kikka live--it smells of age, and old people, and familiarity. The shades are half-drawn and Mummo dozes in her velvety orange chair sometimes watching what is on TV. Kikka is in the kitchen and I can see she is concocting something delicious. I think you understand how I feel about this place, because I think you sense the same rest and comfort when you are sitting in the kitchen with that same sugar bowl on the table at coffee time. The place reminds me of my childhood, while at the same time the aging condition of our loved ones reminds me heavily that nothing remains the same for long. I am intensely aware of the preciousness of the moments I get to spend with them.

I didn't mean to get so pensive and serious! I have had an amazing weekend, one of friends and new acquaintances, of good conversations and life stories, birthday parties and exploding fireworks at the harbor. I just wanted you to know that in the midst of all the fun and the seriousness that comprise life and give it depth and fullness, I miss you, darling sister. Thousands of miles apart...but so close in my heart--I'm sure that's a rhyme from somewhere. :) I can't wait to see you again, until that day though, may God grant you strength for your studies, his comfort in your heart and his peace through all circumstances!

With love from your big Sis, que te quiere muchisisisisimo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to swallow the lump in my throat so that everyone around me won't start wondering why I'm blubbering... I wish that I could have been with you on the bridge... we could have worked on those loogies you need practice with. (: I do understand the nostalgic/peaceful feeling of sitting in Mummi's kitchen where life seems to stand still, in spite of age taking its toll. Well, breakfast awaits as does RA training and perhaps a haircut... yes I am feeling rebelious...
I love you so much

mreddie said...

Can so relate to missing family that is far away having just returned from Texas and leaving my first born and her young ones that are now living there. Big empty place inside. ec

Yours Truly said...

Toni--so, what happened with the haircut? And nostalgia--that was a word I was looking for and couldn't quite remember where I'd put it. Hah, you had it! Thanks for the return!

ec--that big empty place sometimes feels too big. But God is bigger. I'm glad you got to spend time with OD and GMs!