I know, I know. My holiday ends and suddenly my blog goes silent. Let me fill you in.
I returned to a green paradise where water is abundant and summer is having a field day. Seriously. Finland in the summer is one of the loveliest places to be. Last week we took a canoe and some kayaks and spent the night on an island about an hour's paddle away. Gliding through a glassy sea at 1 am in the moonlight ranks among the most unique and tranquil nature experiences I've had. But for the drunken singers, that is. But they were boosting up their egos on the next island over, belting out lyrics like "all of us are heroes." The next day we visited another island, explored its nature trail and art installations and enjoyed quintessentially Finnish seascapes.
Now, through an unexpected turn of events, I am back in Huittinen teaching English to Russian kids. I have nine kiddos, age 8-11, who will learn the names of different professions and be able to communicate their own daily activities after tomorrow's lesson (I hope). I'm here with Sonja, which makes it more fun. Our students are roughly at the same level, so we share the lesson planning and agonizing over how to best teach students who know very little.
Huittinen is one of those quaint little towns out in the middle of nowhere. There's one roundabout and 3 large grocery stores, 2 pubs and a pharmacy along with various small restaurants and clothes shops. Thrift stores, homes, and furniture warehouses. If you head toward the fields for a jog down the lane, you will be accompanied by flies and the pungent smell of manure. A river runs through the town, and there are pretty details like bright flower arrangements on the bridge, as well as creepy details like an obese nude statue in an old phone booth.
But now the lesson planning is done, and it is time to go hang out with Little Sister and read aloud! :)
I returned to a green paradise where water is abundant and summer is having a field day. Seriously. Finland in the summer is one of the loveliest places to be. Last week we took a canoe and some kayaks and spent the night on an island about an hour's paddle away. Gliding through a glassy sea at 1 am in the moonlight ranks among the most unique and tranquil nature experiences I've had. But for the drunken singers, that is. But they were boosting up their egos on the next island over, belting out lyrics like "all of us are heroes." The next day we visited another island, explored its nature trail and art installations and enjoyed quintessentially Finnish seascapes.
Now, through an unexpected turn of events, I am back in Huittinen teaching English to Russian kids. I have nine kiddos, age 8-11, who will learn the names of different professions and be able to communicate their own daily activities after tomorrow's lesson (I hope). I'm here with Sonja, which makes it more fun. Our students are roughly at the same level, so we share the lesson planning and agonizing over how to best teach students who know very little.
Huittinen is one of those quaint little towns out in the middle of nowhere. There's one roundabout and 3 large grocery stores, 2 pubs and a pharmacy along with various small restaurants and clothes shops. Thrift stores, homes, and furniture warehouses. If you head toward the fields for a jog down the lane, you will be accompanied by flies and the pungent smell of manure. A river runs through the town, and there are pretty details like bright flower arrangements on the bridge, as well as creepy details like an obese nude statue in an old phone booth.
But now the lesson planning is done, and it is time to go hang out with Little Sister and read aloud! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment