Advent--the coming of Christ into the world
Regardless of the fact that the Christ was not born in December, we in this day and age celebrate his birth in the darkest of seasons, winter. He is the light of the world, and darkness is the best foil for light. Suddenly what seems inky and soulless finds dimensions as a tiny flicker illuminates contours and allows us to see the world in a new and real way.
This year's first Advent also brought light into a corner of my emotional memory. An event a few days ago triggered such a reaction that I knew it was pulling at an older string attached to events long ago. As I prayed through it with friends, I was able to see where darkness hadn't given way to light. How important it is to allow Truth to illuminate every aspect of our lives, to come in and free us from wrong reactions, habits and thoughts that makes us grow crooked. There is freedom in the Light.
Regardless of the fact that the Christ was not born in December, we in this day and age celebrate his birth in the darkest of seasons, winter. He is the light of the world, and darkness is the best foil for light. Suddenly what seems inky and soulless finds dimensions as a tiny flicker illuminates contours and allows us to see the world in a new and real way.
This year's first Advent also brought light into a corner of my emotional memory. An event a few days ago triggered such a reaction that I knew it was pulling at an older string attached to events long ago. As I prayed through it with friends, I was able to see where darkness hadn't given way to light. How important it is to allow Truth to illuminate every aspect of our lives, to come in and free us from wrong reactions, habits and thoughts that makes us grow crooked. There is freedom in the Light.
In him was life,
and that life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness,
but the darkness has not understood it.
Jn.1:4,5
No comments:
Post a Comment