Pages

Friday, July 15

Egyptian Festivities...Weddings cont.

There were two days of celebrations. 
On Wednesday, as many ladies of the extended family came to help cook and prepare, the henna lady also arrived.  She spent hours here, preparing lots of ladies and especially the bride.   Wednesday was the bride's family's party, and the lot outside the house was a colorfully lit area with a little stage where the bride sat dressed in Indian attire.  Atif made an appearance late in the evening.  Dancing horses kept the beat of very loud Arabic music and the bride and her friends and family danced until they could dance no more.  OK, not really, because on Thursday night they continued....

So Thursday night a similar scenario occurred near Atif's house.  Beautiful lights, a stage, loud music, chairs filling the alley and street, and plenty of well-wishers completed the party.  On this night the bride wore white and and was picked up from the hairdresser's by the groom.  I was part of the wedding party that met them at the photo shop to take them to the party.  I have to say that the bridal couple looked tired from such busyness and I don't think six hours at a hairdresser is a small feat.  But anyway, there was plenty of dancing, a cake cutting and people sitting around as a lone cameraman captures the event on film, followed by his cable guy that makes sure he has enough charge to continue!

I tried to get glimpses of Asma and figure out how she was holding up.  She was tired, and hot, but she smiled a lot at Atif and danced more than I thought possible in a heavy dress.  At one point she and Atif had swords in their hands as they danced and she got a kick out of pretending to duel with him.

This description leaves out the heat, which is an ever-present factor here.  And the more people you have dancing near you, the hotter you get!  And the smells of perfume and dust on a party night in the streets of Giza is impossible to relate through words on a screen.  As the bridal couple was sent to their new home with a huge entourage of guests, the party dispersed and I found myself walking home with Bilal holding one hand and Tita the other.  The bride's parents walked before me, tired and sad, as their daughter will no longer be at home. 

I am now on my way to visit the bride with all the women of the family.  We will take her food.  I look forward to seeing how she's doing today and how she likes her flat!

No comments: