Pages

Friday, March 19

where is Spring?

It snowed again yesterday. But the snowflakes morphosed into liquid droplets on my living room window, signifying a weather change toward positive degrees. There is still plenty of snow on the ground, though.

I happened to be walking toward the Kamppi shopping center plaza when I passed by Superman. He's a street artist who most often balances on a thick rope tied between two trees and calls out to the passersby in broken Finnish. He's a black man who sports a rasta hairdo and a superman outfit. Is spring officially here when Superman comes out? Is it really warm enough to perform?

As I left him behind I heard the teenagers behind me call him "the city's most famous man, but no one knows his name." Soon other popular sights will follow Superman's example and take their places along the streets: flowers, outdoor tables and chairs in front of cafes, budding leaves, and perhaps a bit more sunshine.

No comments: