Pages

Sunday, September 6

oasis

The bedbugs are now only a memory that frequently come to mind when I look at the red blotches on my legs. The blisters are unfortunately more obnoxious, as every step painfully reminds me of their existence. But so it is. A happier memory to think of is Steven, whom we parted ways with yesterday. He is now in Madrid with our aunt and uncle, watching a bullfight.

While he was here, we began to read aloud The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton. We didn´t make it very far in this well-written book, but one phrase often comes to mind: "I had inevitably brought myself with me," the author writes about his dream vacation that he embarked on having seen a beautiful palm-tree-sunny-beach brochure advertisement. While I know the camino is no beach vacation, you still have no idea what it´s like until you get here.

I inevitably brought myself with me. My body reminds me often of its existence and needs. And my brain is not as limited to this geographical location as my body is. It wanders to the past and asks about the future. But the daily trudging also brings to mind another quotation from the book: "Journeys are the midwives of thought." The author was speaking of trains, but my mode of transport are my feet, and endless walking and uncomfortable feet make you want to concentrate on other things. I haven´t processed all I want to, I don´t even know how. But undoubtedly the midwife will do her work...

So, amidst the lovely landscapes (and the not so lovely ones) the physical realities take their toll. But like today, after 29 km, the arrival at Boadillas del Camino was a treat. We found a beautiful lawn, showers, shade, a swimming pool, and a personable argentine host! We were thrilled! Sonja sends her greetings to the world at large, and now we are contemplating an early bedtime....
...till next time!

2 comments:

JJ said...

Hey U2! What a great chance to walk the Camino again with you here in your blog!

You sisters are so fast! Take it easy. Slowly, slowly... :-) Take the shorter day walks. There are still hundreds of kilometers to walk and your feet get more exhausted day by day.

Take some day off, stay in hostel or hotel and let your feet rest and get fresh air. They need love, love & love! Leon would be the great place for that!

B blessed sistaz! No pain, no glory! ;-)

Juho

Yours Truly said...

No pain, no glory!!! Dont I know it now, 800 km, 9 blisters and 2 bedbug attacks later!! Loved it though, amazing trip! We took an extra day in Burgos to rest. Thanks for the comment and for living it with us! hope to see you soon in Finland!