Tere! I have returned. I ate my way through Estonia in three days, then had to be rolled back to the ship like one of those Finnish tourists' carts bursting with crates upon crates of alcohol. Ok, so that's a slight exaggeration about being roly-poly, but I'm not exaggerating about the amounts of alcohol that Finns bring back, it's embarrassing! With such reputation for being the drunkards that go to Tallinn for cheap booze, my friends and I made a point to speak English instead of Finnish amongst us during our trip!
And what a trip it was! We spent the nights at my friend's grandmother's place in the middle of the countryside, so far from anything that you could only hear the crickets whirring and chickens squawking. Our first day included a visit to Pärnu in the south. The windiness of the seaside city didn't keep (some of) us from taking a swim in the Baltic waters which were surprisingly warm! Lots of bodies roasting in the sun, beach volleyball and women in high-heels! A particularly fun invention was a swing-see-saw contraption where you hang instead of sit and let the other person's weight throw you up! The sense of being on vacation permeated our schedule as we wandered around, not only in Pärnu, but throughout our whole time in Estonia.
Day Two was for exploring Tartu, the beautiful university city to the east. After a late start and directions that contained a detour, we finally arrived and visited the KGB Museum, which is in a nondescript gray office building that used to incarcerate "enemies of the public" in its basement during Soviet times. It was a dark place, a physical container where the most evil inclinations of humanity became reality. But the rest of the city was charming, nicer than Tallinn, we agreed.
Our crew of six returned to Helsinki on Day Three, via Tallinn where we reluctantly joined the swarms of 8000 tourists who had arrived on six cruise ships! The day was gloriously sunny and warm, perfect for visiting the Kardriorg Palace and then people watching from beneath the opaque umbrellas of a cafe in Old Town. I have neglected to mention that we ate plenty in each city, and plenty on the road in between, and then at "home" in the countryside! I have an appreciation for the varied bread selection, cheese sausage and pelmeni. On the non-culinary side, I appreciate the bright colors of homes, the architecture that somehow hints at Germanic influences, tended gardens, funny street names, the sense of "wild" that pervades in a way that is absent here, and lower prices!
I'm looking forward to the next time our crew gets together for an adventure! But before that day comes, a jaunt over to England is in store. I'm headed to see friends and attend a conference in the south. I'm very much anticipating what God has in store for my time there!
3 comments:
I think it's rather comical that you spoke English so the Estonians wouldn't know your Finns. My blond-haired friend, you look as Finnish as any stereotypical Scandinavian would look. But then again, BASTA with stereotypes.
Estonia is lovely, and though most of my impression is built on a week in Talinn (sans the cruise ship crowds), your entry brought back fond memories of walking around stone-clad alleyways and having all sorts of drinks at the most memorable places.
Glad you're enjoying your summer. Next stop: Kenya. Right? :)
I enjoyed the descriptions of you travels and adventures. I can imagine that a KGB Museum would be a rather dreary place. ec
Adele, oh if only Kenya could be the next stop!!! And I don't know if we fooled anyone with our english, but it was fun! :P
ec--very dreary indeed. downright depressing. we had to get out of there quick!
Post a Comment