Pages

Friday, May 9

the south

My favorite war to read about in US history is the Civil War. I am reminded of the division between the North and South whenever I come to the East Coast, away from the completely different dimension of California (that carries its own fascination with its Spanish history). I've always liked the South, perhaps because I have not visited the North yet, or perhaps it is due to my romanticized imaginations of sprawling plantation homes and gently rocking chairs on verandas that overlook green lawns with huge old leafy trees. Here in Monroe, we've driven by amazing old homes with tall pillars framing painted front doors and homes hidden behind tall trees and vibrant flowerbeds, very Sweet Home Alabama-ish. It is humid. People drink sweetened iced tea and stretch one-syllable words into two-syllable words. Life seems slower here.

The negative aspect is that it seems people have no clue of the outside world. There is a whole planet out there, and some people are just not curious about it, or feel that it does not touch them in any way. I have to say that some places exude a red-neck mentality that strikes me as bizarre. I realize that everywhere on the planet people have localized thinking, because what is in one's immediate context is what takes up most of daily life, and that's normal. But to expect that the whole world should (or does) live the way you do or think the way you do is to forfeit the opportunity to learn something new or expand your world.

(Stepping off my soapbox now...) Our journeys take us up to North Carolina and then Virginia in the coming days and I am looking forward to visiting with dear friends I have not seen for many years! I have been enjoying my stay here in the US so far, and am having a blast with my family. We are at the Charles' home, and they have a precious grand-baby named Cidney (affectionately nicknamed Chivito). My mum has a grandma glint in her eye....uh oh! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in Delaware, just north of Virginia. So if you wanna visit the North, let me know.

Yours Truly said...

Hi Megan! I would've loved to see you! But we are back in CAli now, and our time has been too packed! Note to self: next vacation stay in one place for at least a week!

Hope all is well in Delaware! What are you up to?