Pages

Tuesday, August 14

Nach der Schule

It's that time of year again.

This morning there were evidences of it in the streets and on public transportation. New backpacks full of new markers and sharpened pencils, unscuffed erasers and blank notebooks paraded by as their little owners began their first day of school!

I always recall it being an exciting time of life--each fall entering a classroom with perhaps a new teacher and a few new students. My school was small with some 35 children (give or take a handful, depending on the year), and my grade was even tinier, often with just me and one or two other kids! But our classes were combined, so that two grades were taught by the same teacher. Due to its small size, in a way the school became its own family, and wasn't as strict as I imagine schools here are. Here, I don't think you can bring an ocelot to school, stop class to go look at a snake, cook clay pottery in a pit in the back yard, make cookies with your teachers, have eighth graders play the same game with first graders during recess, walk around barefoot or go to the river every week as part of P.E. class!

I'll be back in the classroom soon as well, but not till next month. This year promises to be academically even more challenging than the last, as I must research and write my thesis!

5 comments:

WorldTrekker said...

I will send you positive brain waves for all of your thoughts and thinking ahead... But alas, you are smarter than I, perhaps I would only slow you down... LOL... Have a great day...

One Runner Walking... said...

Shell...a child's paradise. at least in our day. :)

Yours Truly said...

Trekker, vielen dank, much needed for all the long study hours ahead. hopefully I won't be reading each paragraph four times!

gem--yeah, now it's all fenced in and has probably changed a lot. But it was an excellent time, was it not, for a kid! and you were part of it since the beginning!

mreddie said...

Excitement was rampant here these last couple of weeks as three of the gruntmonkeys went to school. GM1 is now in high school (and in the marching band), GM2 is in the 5th grade and GM3 is in K5 and his first encounter with school. Hope your classes go well. ec

Yours Truly said...

ec--thank you! Wow, and exciting times around there for y'all as well! Wishing all the GMs a successful year of school!