Pages

Monday, August 6

7 Wonders

As her most traveled friend, Gem tagged me a few months ago to share my realm of expertise by listing my Top 7 Must-See Destinations. So I will give you my seven, but with the stipulation that I have yet to see much of this vast world, and I can only tell you of the places I have been. Ask me again in 10 years and the list will contain some newcomers and revisions, which I hope will include more of Africa and Asia. But as of today, the "Seven Wonders of the World" that I think everyone should experience:

1. Cairo-Sinai, Egypt. No surprise there to any of you. You know my love affair with the place. But simply for its history and culture, it is a must-see for any cultured traveler, and nowhere else can you see the last Wonder of the Ancient World, the Great Pyramid, from camelback. The treasures of the Cairo Museum, the crowded traffic and local cuisine will leave a lasting impression on you, as will the hospitality of the Egyptians, because after all, a place is about the people. (This is assuming that you don't get a package deal at a 5-star hotel and then spend your days at the pool. That would be a waste of Egypt.) Please, go eat at someone's home, play with their children and buy at a local market. Take an "utubis" ride to your destination or spend the night at a Bedouin hotel in Sinai.
2. Summer Cottage, Finland. This is also an essential place I recommend for anyone. If you can't come to Finland and see it, get yourself to a lakeside cabin somewhere else. Let it be rustic and have a sauna and a rowboat. Here you will relax simply because you are in nature, away from the daily grind in a more rural setting where you can sit on the dock and watch the twilight reflect on a glassy lake. Play card games late into the night while eating plenty of candy, sleep in late in soft sheets and eat your breakfast in the morning wind. Some summer cottages (mökki) in Finland don't even have running water, but it must be brought in from a well, and electricity may not always be available either. Our summer cottage has both, but what we do still hold on to is an outhouse! And nothing beats having to pee on a crisp August night with a full moon to light your flight to the privy and back! :)
3. Tirol, Austria. This pick should not surprise you either, as I rank mountain landscapes as some of my favorites in the world. This is a place to rest and rejuvenate, to exert your muscles by climbing and feast your eyes on meadows of flowers flanked by snow-covered Alps. Go to the mountains I say! Spend a few days wandering from one mountain alm to another and get to know their keepers and other hikers passing through. And when you crave paved streets, visit the charming towns with mural-painted buildings, flea markets and local pubs with excellent food. I recommend the Johanesbeersaft (black currant juice)!
4. "Shell Road," Ecuador. I had a hard time picking a place from this country, as the scenery ranges from gorgeous Andes mountains to warm beaches and rainy jungles (so basically, see the whole country). The road section I am recommending begins at Baños, which may well be my favorite "to-visit" city there, nestled dangerously under an active volcano. Stop here for breakfast at one of the many cafes, stay at hotels with jacuzzis, eat fresh taffy or buy "indian pants" as souvenirs for your loved ones. The place has an odd mixture of colonial atmosphere littered with adventure tourists and people who make their living off of them! The best way to see the "Shell Road" that leaves Baños toward the jungle town where I grew up is by bike. On one side you will have the dense foliage of the mountainside, and on the other, a 100 ft drop down to the Pastaza River. There are a few small towns along the route as well as some waterfalls to visit should your bum be numb from too much biking!
5. Madrid, Spain. This is a city of culture that is relatively easy to get around and has plenty to see. People actually spend time in the parks with their kites and kids, just lazing or running some laps. The busy downtown sector is easily accessible via the metro and bus systems, and bursts at the seams with shops and museums to suit city-sightseers. Be sure to stop in the local cafés for their delicious pastries and buy some "chucherías" (candy) to keep your energy up as you wander the winding streets. From Madrid it is also possible to visit the smaller towns on the outskirts, which are quaint and quiet compared to the capital. I would also add that perhaps Toledo is a particulary interesting city a few hours away, containing influences of Muslim, Jewish and Christian heritages in the architecture that lines the narrow and winding cobblestone streets.
6. National Parks of California, USA. I have not seen even close to all of the states in the US, but I pick these places because they are beautiful and the hiking is gorgeous: Yosemite, Ansel Adams Wilderness and Joshua Tree (Is it cheating to pick three places in one state? Heheh, they all fall under the same category though!). I spent 10 days backpacking through the terrain and would gladly do it again! Lakes, mountains, rock piles and forests are all yours for the wandering. The experience of backpacking in such a place is not to be missed, as you must carry all your wares with you, exhert your body to get to your destination, and sleep under the open skies. (And if the camp life is not for you, at least you will better appreciate a shower when you get home!) Please go rock climb in Joshua Tree and salute El Capitán as you hike the Panorama Trail through the Yosemite Valley and perhaps get lost along the trails of the wilderness!
7. Mumbai, India. India is place of interesting juxtapositions, and simply for that reason, I think you should go there. People are helpful, especially when you get used to the bobby-head technique and pick it up yourself! Please don't go there in monsoon season, and please see both the north and the south of the country, which are two regions very different from each other (I saw only the north). I think to understand the sheer masses of people living in India is difficult. It's hard to wrap your head around 1 billion people in one country, but here's the crux: 1 billion people eat their cornflakes with sugar and hot milk, would they be the trendsetters then? In India you see that the world is really not about the West.

Well, that concludes this round of wonders, subjectively selected by Yours Truly. The world contains so many interesting cultures and beautiful views to be experienced, so go out there and explore them!

5 comments:

One Runner Walking... said...

love the list!

WorldTrekker said...

What a great list of interesting places, I would have agree with you on more than a few of these... I think that I will assemble my own list and let you see what you think...

Yours Truly said...

Gem--good! It ended up being longer than I expected! I'm still debating about number 5 though. It's on the list quite precariously.

Trekker--yes, assemble that list! Let's compare notes!

mreddie said...

The only two on the list that I have even come close to is Madrid in 1962 - just passed through and California. This latter was not at the parks but for my basic army training near the coast between Monterey and Salinas in 1959. ec

Yours Truly said...

ec--the coast of california is nice though, at least the little I've seen of it! But I'm not sure army training would afford time to enjoy it! :)

Happy weekend!