Pages

Tuesday, May 15

Travel II

Güße from Germany once more!!!

My last update was attempted in 6 minutes, so I apologize for the horrid spelling. But now I am back after an amazing time in Egypt, and can spend a bit more time to let you all know about the great trip we had.

With ten students, plus the leader and a few of us helpers, we have toured old sites in Cairo and Sinai. The group has been willing and ready for every adventure, whether horseback riding in the Sahara desert, taking camels to watch the sunset at the pyramids, hiking at Mt. Sinai at 2 am to watch the sunrise, to walking through museums and crazy street traffic. They have not given into complaining in spite of mosquito bites and stomach problems, and I am duly pleased.

The moments that are most special to me though, involve being with my Egyptian family. These moments have no camera recordings and so they live on in my memory only. One of my dreams came true, as I sat drinking the "best tea in the world" at grandmother´s place on a reed mat in the front yard surrounded by the geese and the cats and other relatives, and with my sister there to share the moment. I almost cried from happiness because I would not have expected it to come true! She can now imagine and know the places and smells and people that I talk about, and know how much they love her too. I will have to tell more stories about it all some other time, perhaps! :)

We are now headed for a few days to relax and wander about the Alps in Austria. I have been looking forward to this part of the trip too. Aaaaah, it does the soul good to be in the mountains.

May this find you well wherever on the planet you are, auf Wiedersehen!

4 comments:

Karoliina said...

Wow. Sounds so good! I hope we'll get to go to Africa soon too...

mreddie said...

So glad you had a good trip and quite an adventure, or so it sounds. The mountains have always charged my emotional batteries, I've been around the edges of the Alps but what I saw was great. ec

Anonymous said...

Ah, I am SO happy Sonja could be there... I can only imagine how amazing that must have felt.
The adventures sound wonderful, I pray one day I will join you there for at least a couple of days. ;)
Can't wait to talk to you more! (sorry, I was away since wednesday, so I couldn't write earlier...)

Yours Truly said...

Karoliina, I hope so too, for you!

ec, I highly recommend a visit to Leutasch to get charged!

essy, one day you will have to join me! or visit me if-when I live there! :)