It's been sweltering here. Yesterday reached 33 degrees Celcius (91ºF), which is the temperature they had in Cairo! Let me mention that Finland is not equipped with air conditioning like they are in places where warm weather is commonplace! The streets are full of tourists, EU representatives, and vendors in sleeveless attire and sandals, ice cream cones in hand. It is hard to escape the heat.
There is a tiny beach with huge boulders on an island not far away from the Helsinki harbour. I went there on Saturday, with hundreds of others who had the same bright idea to sunbathe and swim in the sea! We were like confetti--dots of all sizes on colorful towels spread out festively over the boulders! The sea was still very cool, but that didn't stop us from getting in! I feasted on strawberries and peas with my friends as the sun burned cheerfully in a clear blue sky.
I watched the World Cup final in a stuffy apartment, where the open window did nothing to alleviate the heat even late at night. I sprawled out on the floor between the candy bowl and the popcorn and tried not to move! I don't so much mind, as it was very fun to be with friends and yell at the players (as if our comments had any bearing on what happened on the field!). It is too bad that the match had to end in penalty shots, but exciting nonetheless. My soccer fan-hood is now put on the shelf for four years, or until the European Championships! :)
The heat continues today, making the sky hazy and sapping the energy right out of me! But I have the house to myself as my relatives have headed to their summer cottage, and I think I will take advantage of the peace to just lounge and do some laundry. Aaah, Summer!!!
2 comments:
Was that temperature a record? When one is not equipped for the heat, it is miserable. So you were situated between the candy bowl and popcorn - sounds like the ideal place. :) I'm not much of a sports fan, mostly I like track and field events, American football in the fall and some baseball. Hope it cools off for you folks over there. ec
Hi ec! Yes, it has cooled off a bit now. I like track and field too, which is popular here in the summer! I never really did get into football when I was in the US, I find it hard to follow--it's so stop and go. I enjoyed your post about toes!
Post a Comment