Pages

Tuesday, July 18

A "Berry" Nice Weekend

"You go on ahead," seven-year old Katri told me, as she hid behind a rock pile. So I continued walking with her little sister Sanni down the dirt road between the summer cottage and their house. Never knowing what mischief a young girl can get into, we didn't go far. I turned back and saw her with a hand in the neighbor's mailbox, and I was slightly perplexed as to what she could be looking for in it. I didn't have to wait long to find out what she was up to, because when we arrived at the next mailbox together, she promptly opened it and dropped in it one of the many delicate purple flowers she had been collecting in her hat.

"I did that back there too," she said, waving back to where the rock pile and the mailbox were. I smiled, wondering at the way young minds think, and appreciating her desire to brighten up other's lives (and I didn't have the heart to tell her the blooms would be wilted when the neighbors found them)! We called Katri the "Flower Girl," because that's what she picked along our morning treck. And Sanni was the "Strawberry Girl," because that's what she picked and ate along the way. Wild-strawberry picking was the original reason we were wandering down the country road on a breezy summer morning, but the jaunt extended to include swimming, flower-picking, and drawing as well!

"So what will we call you?" they asked, trying to come up with a name for me, because as you know, everyone must have a name. They saw my blue swimsuit that evening, and promptly dubbed me the "Blueberry Girl," which I quite fancy, and which reminds me that I'd like to go blueberry picking this year!

3 comments:

One Runner Walking... said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! It would have been nice to join you. However...I think all the good names were taken. :)

mreddie said...

That was so great, allowing the young ones to be out and enjoying nature. The 'flower girl' sounds so much like my oldest granddaughter - she always picked flowers for her Mom. Didn't matter what kind, as long as they were flowers. As for picking blueberries, I've picked so many that I'm just about tired of it. Not tired of eating them though. :) ec

Yours Truly said...

Gem--hahaha! I think raspberry might have suited. That's not too bad, considering that later their mum was dubbed black currant! :)

ec--enjoying nature should start at the youngest of ages and last all of life! Glad you're not tired of blueberries! They're not in season here yet and I can't wait till they are!