Pages

Thursday, May 18

An Essential

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of you wonder about this country that I live in. It is a peculiar place that for all purposes I currently call "home." While avoiding the topic of home itself, which is complex for someone like me, I will make an attempt to share some tidbits of this distinctive people and their habits. So, with nothing but the desire to expand your horizons, let me enlighten you today on one topic that is essential and taken for granted in a Finn's existence.
The sauna.
Aah, here is a word you have heard before, and indeed, it is possibly the only Finnish word that is spoken worldwide. But maybe your mind's eye does not see it quite the way mine does. I see a wood-paneled room, with wooden benches, low lighting, a hot stove with rocks, and a convenient bucket full of water with a ladle beside it. The idea is to throw water over the rocks, creating steam that fills the room with heat around 80-90º Centigrade. Now, add the sweating nude people sitting on little towels, and the picture will be complete. On the first round, I personally like to sit in the sauna until the sweat drops off of my fingertips before I race outside into the lake to cool off. If I'm with cousins, we compete to see who can stand to stay in the longest! In urban settings, you have to be satisfied with the shower in the tiled washroom that is usually next to the sauna. In the winter, you can race outside in the -15º weather and jump into a hole in the lake ice, or roll in the snow. (I can recommend the icehole, as it is quite refreshing and addicting!)
These rooms can be found in all homes, all new apartments, in apartment complexes where they are shared, in swimming halls, on beaches, in hotels, in recreation centers, and at summer cottages. It is said that past Finnish presidents even met with their cabinet members in the sauna! It is a great place to relax, to think, to get clean, to talk, to just be (if you can stand it!). For the record, my parents' hometown hosts the World Sauna Championships every August, but those temperatures are just ridiculous!
My favourite sauna is at our summer cottage. It has all of the above-mentioned aspects, except the stove is an old wooden one that requires plenty of firewood and time to heat up; there is also a huge water boiler next to it, a random assortment of collected shampoos and soaps, and even a lace curtain in the window. The sauna (with a sleeping chamber next to it) was the first building constructed at our summer cottage when my mother was still a child, and I love the front porch that runs along the length of it and the smooth door handles and wall hooks made from twisted tree branches. Situated right next to the shore, it is but a hop, skip and jump from the sauna door to the water's edge!
Now, don't you want to come visit and sit for sweaty spell? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, now I really feel like going to a sauna! :)
In Poland they are made (they look) the same way as you described. I never had the guts to jump in the lake. :) At one place here instead of a cold shower, they have a huge barrel filled with ice-cold water. Never got into that either. ;)

Anonymous said...

How funny that you would devote an entry to saunas as my parents are currently looking to purchase a sauna for their lake house! I'll be thinking of you if/when I use it, and perhaps even then go jump in the lake... but maybe not thru an ice hole?!?! By the way, love the new hair-do!!! Abbey

mreddie said...

Thanks for the cultural enlightenment. I had read a bit about that but have never tried it myself. Seems that every country has their own uniquenesses. ec

Yours Truly said...

Essy--you should give the hot-cold-hot combination a chance! It's very refreshing! Or just come in the summer, and the lake is a perfect temperature!

Abbey--so great that they are getting a sauna! Is it a Finnish kind of sauna? I don't think the ice hole scenario is too usual in the US! But you could start a trend... heheheh!

ec--I highly recommend it! And yes, it is wonderful that each country has their own weird practices and idiocyncracies!

Anonymous said...

This is almost perfect description from the sauna! ;) But you forgot to explain what means VIHTA! :) It is very important part of Finnish sauna, especially in summer! It is seldom when I use vihta, but I like it. What about you?

One Runner Walking... said...

Sitting for a sweaty spell sounds absolutely delightful! I miss you so much and I was already imagining a visit to Finland before I finished the entry. I look forward to seeing the summer cottage someday. :) Love you!

Yours Truly said...

Pekka--so is it Vihta or Vasta? I do like it, but we don't usually have one. For those of you who don't know, it is a bunch of birch branches tied together, and you beat yourself with it to increase blood circulation. It stings a bit, but feels good!

Gem--aaah, so we could go for a run, and then end up in the sauna! I can't wait till that one day when you get to see it! Love you too!

Anonymous said...

Vihta and vasta is the same thing. In the Eastern Finland it is "vasta" and in the western it is "vihta". I have got used to using word vihta. It is somehow more familiar for me. I think that it is summer now because a hagberry? (tuomi) has come into flower. :) Enjoy!!!