stultifying--to have a dulling effect; to cause to appear stupid or illogical
laconic--concise to the point of seeming mysterious or rude; terse
anodyne--not likely to offend or arouse tensions, serving to assuage pain; innocuous
insouciant--lighthearted concern; nonchalance
slapdash--haphazard, slipshod
These are just a few of the words I have recently added to my vocabulary. What amuses me most is that I found these words in the Baltic Times newspaper in the movie review section! I almost skipped over them, but my curiosity got the best of me! I decided to do away with educated guesses and find a dictionary, and I must say that I am pleased to know exactly what the term "insouciant renegade" means. Just think, now I can tell my sister that it is not profitable to produce slapdash homework, even if she feels that the hours spent poring over her books are stultifying to her capacity to concentrate.
Perhaps this does not satisfy you to any degree about what is really going on in my life. Let me assure you, that the thoughts have not stopped their flow and nor have activities ceased. I am merely not in the mood to describe more snowy winter weather, unknown future plans, unspeakable horrors in the news, continuing German classes, new friends, or daily home life. I find this mood creeps up on me once in a while, and it is not a pleasant place to be. It makes me feel tired, incapable of engaging life, and almost depressed. This is very unlike me, but I try to separate myself from it, and look at myself from a birdseye objective angle (if such a thing were possible) and probe the areas of my life to discover if anything is amiss.
A telltale thought passes my mind, "this is stealing my joy, destroying my hope, killing my personality." Well, that's the enemy's calling card, clearly enough. I don't need to pay attention to him, and I am learning what it means, " to take every thought captive to the authority of Christ," as I realize that the enemy tries to constantly poison my thoughts. I have many exciting things on the horizon which I shall share as they unfold, among them are travel and friends visiting! I know that there is much I am to be in prayer about regarding these things, and I think that is precisely why the enemy wants me to focus elsewhere.
3 comments:
Indeed you are right sis, as always, I must stop treating my duties insouciantly for that more than anything has a stultifying effect on me...
It seems that I'm always looking for new words and those are good ones! One way I have heard about to fight stress or depression is to have something to look forward to - something to anticipate. It seems you already have that though. Open praise to God is another one. These I have experienced, not just heard about only. ec
Thank you! I have much to praise God for indeed! And my mood is no longer in the ditch! Thanks for commenting!
and Toni, I know you're diligent!
Post a Comment