I am going on a trip, my friends--a week's vacation to the land where the Nile flows like a green ribbon through the arid desert, and where the red sun sets behind the Pyramids of the Giza plateau as it has for thousands of years. I am so excited I can hardly sit still! After spending the summer of 2004 in Giza with a host family as part of my university studies, Egypt and her people have found a special place in my heart. Ever since I left, I have been hoping to go back! Perhaps it's true, what they say, that if you drink the water of the Nile, you are destined to return! A week is not long, but I shall enjoy every moment of being there again and seeing friends who are dear to me!
For the past few nights it's been hard to sleep, I've had so many wonderful memories and thoughts running through my mind's eye. I smile in the dark as I think of Tita beating his drum, Mostafa holding Bilel, Asmaa linking her arm in mine as we walk, cooking mähshi with Aymaan, and driving on the Ring Road with Mohammed. My mind is as congested with memories, exotic smells, and lively thoughts as the streets of Cairo are with the crazy melée of honking cars, crowded buses, bouncing camels, loaded donkey carts, daring bicyclers and robed pedestrians! Can a body stand this much excitement!? I'm ready to burst at the seams!!
Let the adventure begin!
5 comments:
"Can a body stand this much excitement!? I'm ready to burst at the seams!!"
I just hope there is no Cairo equivalent to the infamous "Delhi-belly" we expats in India are so familiar with. Otherwise your statement above will be a prophecy you'll wish you didn't make!
Oh, and congrats on the victory a few nights ago in ice hockey at the Olympics. There is still hope for a Canada Mens' Gold and we're not going to let some sauna sweating, hard bread eating, blonde hair dying Finns stand in our way! ;-)
Ah, my mind and spirit are so there with you... Be blessed, be safe and enjoy the beautiful days ahead of you! Please, send my warmest regards to Mohammed, and of course greet Ron for me. I still hope to meet him when he comes to Poland! :)
Everyone gets to go to all the awesome places, Jon to India, Barney to China, and you Egypt. And more than once! *sigh* I am soo jealous.
Have a great time.
Maybe I'm a pessimist but I have heard it said once you drink the water of the Nile you might die from the organisms found therein. :) Anyway, I hape you have a fantastic time!! ec
Thanks to all of you who commented and prayed during my trip! I did get sick, but nothing lasting! And did I have a great time? You bet!!! I cannot tell you how much I love Egypt and the people there!I will update soon, but I am so tired right now that I am about to be sick!
Post a Comment