Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Tuesday, January 17
Centennial
My great-grandmother's picture appeared in a small section of the daily newspaper yesterday. This is because today she is turning 100 years old! 100! We will be celebrating her birthday with a party tomorrow, and one wonders what do you take as a gift for someone at that age? She is someone who has seen so much in life, and so many changes throughout the decades, that it would be fascinating to sit for hours and hear stories of things that occurred in her lifetime. I asked her once, after sitting at her small dining table drinking peach nestea and eating chocolate-covered ice cream cones, looking through countless photos of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, if I could come back again and look through her older photograph albums with her. "Well, I must tell you, that I don't gladly remember those days, " she replied, "they were so difficult." And that is just one small insight that I have into what her life has consisted of. But you would never really know it by looking at her now, as she smiles a lot, has a keen interest in the to-do's of her family, and remembers little details (like to worry about whether I have enough warm clothing for the winter here!). Beyond the frail soft voice and the meticulously curled snowy hair, I know that there is a woman who has had amazing perseverance and faith, and she is to be celebrated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Woweeeee... that is exciting stuff!! I got an email from my aunt the other day to remind me that it would have been my grannies 80th birthday, and that we should be celebrating it for her. hehehe. She died 10 years ago now, but was also one to have lived an amazing life. I hope you get to hear your great grandmother's stories!
Thanks! Me too! I heard a few at the party, and met second-cousins I didn't even know about! Did you get to hear any great stories from your granny?
Actually... have heard more since she died. She certainly led a full on life, and I'm glad to say, one for God too! :)
Glad you had a good day catching up with the relatives. It's funny meeting the ones that you've never met before, huh! Hopefully bonds were made. Are you feeling more at "home" there now?
Post a Comment