Pages

Wednesday, July 15

Freiburg Hostel

I stood waiting to pay 50 cents for coffee grounds at the counter of the hostel this morning.  The lady was explaining to two Spanish tourists about which trains to take to get them to their desired lake. 

The man had a stuffed elf securely fitted under his backpack straps.

"What is his name?" I asked in Spanish.

"It cannot be pronounced with human words," he responded.  The stuffed elf just hung there and smiled. "He is a bit shy.  But look, the bottom of his feet are black." 

I'm not sure what you can say to that, but I wished them a good journey.

Essy and I are also headed out in a few minutes.   We are going to spend the day in the forest.  Yesterday we enjoyed city touring, as Freiburg is a gorgeous place, full of life, history, beautiful buildings, students and outdoors stores.  Dangerous places, those stores.

Our conference in Nuremberg ended on Sunday, and we left for Triberg the next day.  Traveling by train is one of the most enjoyable forms of getting from a to b, as you can peer out the windows and watch the scenery change.  The lush forests and rolling hills/mountains around here are delightful.  Suddenly, in a tiny valley, you see red tiled rooftops and cleanly kept homes, and once again you wonder how it is that people have picked such small corners of the world to reside in.

It is also no wonder that the brothers Grimm set their fairytales here.  The imagination can easily be inspired in dark turns and magical encounters in such a forest.

No comments: