It seems that spring arrived over Labor Day weekend. Not in full regalia, but with the faintly shimmering green coat that makes you look twice to make sure you really are seeing it. The weather, though, is still reminiscing about the good ol' days of winter and seasoning her breath with chill.
I've taken up some art projects in a therapeutic sense. But you could also call it a highly disguised procrastination method to keep from doing my tax papers. There they are. On the bench. Just waiting to be filled with correct numbers. I will do them tomorrow.
On another note entirely, I read an article about people of character. I had an "ah-hah!" moment as I read one section where it talks about how such people journey in life:
I've taken up some art projects in a therapeutic sense. But you could also call it a highly disguised procrastination method to keep from doing my tax papers. There they are. On the bench. Just waiting to be filled with correct numbers. I will do them tomorrow.
On another note entirely, I read an article about people of character. I had an "ah-hah!" moment as I read one section where it talks about how such people journey in life:
"People on this road see life as a process of commitment making. Character is defined by how deeply rooted you are. Have you developed deep connections that hold you up in times of challenge and push you toward the good? In the realm of the intellect, a person of character has achieved a settled philosophy about fundamental things. In the realm of emotion, she is embedded in a web of unconditional loves. In the realm of action, she is committed to tasks that can’t be completed in a single lifetime." -- David Brooks
Even now as I reread that, I instantly sense the many things I would like to extrapolate from it. But suffice to say that I would not have said that my life is a process of commitment making or that character is defined by how deeply rooted I am. I mean, I believe that to be true, but I wouldn't have thought to say it that way. In the spiritual life, I see the connection with being deeply rooted in Christ. But it was a new idea to think about being rooted: to people, a place, a calling, a time, and its effect on my character.
It highlights the importance of community. It's a topic I have frequently contemplated, desired, wanted to a new degree.
Well, that is it for today. No conclusions. Just some thoughts on the scenery of this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment