I started meeting with my tutor this week. On Mondays and Wednesdays I spend two hours with her going through a level 2 book. Her name is Asmaa' and she is around 75 years old. This phenomenal woman, along with Dr. Kelsey, for whom the school I attend is named, wrote the curriculum that the school uses. She's been retired for over a decade now, but she receives individual students in her home. And as is to be expected, she knows the material inside out and says she never tires of teaching it. She is also a woman who has faced many losses including the deaths of her husband and two sons. She has two daughters still, and I have met them both, along with two grandchildren who peek in the door once in a while.
When I get to her house after classes, she has tea and sweets waiting for me, just so I don't get a dry throat during the lesson. :) We chit chat a bit, but she makes sure that we spend two full hours with the material in the book. Then she also feeds me lunch! On Wednesday we had malfuuf (cabbage), which is cabbage leaves stuffed with rice and meat. Very zäki (tasty). My class at the school has not progressed as fast as I expected, but tutoring has given me good challenges!
When I get to her house after classes, she has tea and sweets waiting for me, just so I don't get a dry throat during the lesson. :) We chit chat a bit, but she makes sure that we spend two full hours with the material in the book. Then she also feeds me lunch! On Wednesday we had malfuuf (cabbage), which is cabbage leaves stuffed with rice and meat. Very zäki (tasty). My class at the school has not progressed as fast as I expected, but tutoring has given me good challenges!
No comments:
Post a Comment