Pages

Monday, March 7

overheard

On sports and our friendly relations with our western neighbor, spoken by a young couple sitting behind me on the bus:

Man: Of course when I don't watch, Finland wins a medal!
Woman: It's ok, you'll probably see the highlights on the news later tonight.
Man: True, but I missed it! (Finland got a medal in the FIS World Ski Championships)
Woman: Yes, but everything is still ok:  at least Sweden didn't get any medals.

On aiming high, sitting in the metro an old bearded man speaks with a little girl who sits with her dad:

Girl (loudly): They told me in school that I am going to be a director when I grow up.
Old man: That's wonderful.  You could be the director of this country. You should aim high. Yep, you could be the leader of anything
(Girl goes silently shy, and soon she and her father leave.)
Old man (to me): My four-year-old nephew asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  Just like that.  I told him, an engine driver. I then asked him what he wanted to be, and he said, a nurse.
(As we parted, he asked me what I wanted to be: Wise.)

And randomly, as a customer exited the store today:

Young lady (to her friend): My hands smell just like my grandmother!

1 comment:

Toni said...

Love. snipits into the lives of others. :D