Pages

Saturday, December 4

2 Weeks

Another sunny Shabbat comes to a close.  I have now been here for two full weeks.

This week we had little Sara return back to the Shevet house from her surgery.  She and her mother were happier than I have ever seen! This week I also disciplined a kid and his mum got so upset with me she wouldn't eat lunch with us that day.   Somehow I have managed to communicate medicine dosages, toothache pains and a bunch of other things in broken Arabo-Kurdish.  I'm sure the details get lost in translation, but the main point gets across!

This week I will be visiting the hospital a few times with the kids as they get their second echoes done. A visit to the sea will also be on the agenda.  This past week one of my most enjoyable moments was going to the park with the kids and their mothers, and watching the mothers go down the kiddie slide! On a more serious note, fires rage in Haifa causing the evacuation of thousands.  While I have been enjoying the clear sunny days, it goes without saying that the country does need rain.  Last month was the driest November in 60 years.

I don't find myself marveling that I am here.  Rather, I have a quiet sense of peace that I am where God has brought me, and his purposes are far more complex than I can imagine. I roll with the changes, smell the flowers, drink the sky, play with kids, keep the dictionary handy, laugh with my coworkers, see my sister, learn constantly, talk to God and explore the city. 

I've concluded that this is not a job or an environment for people who want set routines and have to follow a specific schedule.  Plans change, situations arise.  Every day is different and I have the privilege to work with some amazing people.  That is something that brings me a lot of joy. I enjoy community living, with all its challenges and benefits.

So let us see what the coming week will really hold!

No comments: