A new year has opened, like a gift so deep and so wide it's impossible to see all that it contains.
I have already pulled out of it some incredibly beautiful winter days full of friends, skating and a new internship. I even got a hint of irony, as my friend Elina from South Africa came to stay with us during her visit to Finland. She lives in Johannesburg, one of the most dangerous cities in the world where one's life, possessions or car can be taken in an instant. Then she comes to Helsinki, where such fears are not part of daily living, and what happens? Sonja and I were going to pick her up at the airport, only we discovered that our car was stolen, from our very own parking lot! Somewhere, it is adventuring without us.
I thought about 2009 for a bit, going over in my mind some of the key events and processes. I'd have to say it was intense, in a good way. I processed some painful things, yet at the same time that made me feel more whole and understand myself better. There were milestones like graduation and a pilgrimage. My family was in the same country for 10 months--an incredible gift! I made new friends and got to know my old ones better. Just the thought of them brings to mind summer days and Sunday evenings spent together. And as I just passed another birthday a few days ago, I choose look at my aging with hopefulness.
I am thankful for the surprises still to come in a new year of life, and for the faithfulness and goodness of the Giver in every situation.
_________
P.S. I don't make new year's resolutions, but I shall try to blog a bit more this year. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment