I encountered a lady and her dog on my morning walk today. I have kept my fancy for walking, you see. And she interrupted my reverie and music by remarking on the beautiful day. For on such a brilliant day as today has been, with sunshine and cold wind by the bay, you cannot keep the joy of seeing sunlight to yourself, no, it is not possible, I say!
Then there was an unusual pick-up line by a tattoo artist waiting for the metro. "I collect beautiful things. Can I take a picture of your face?" As he left, "Now you are part of the collection." Charmed, I'm sure?
And then I stood under the Stockmann clock, watching people come and go, some waiting worriedly and others greeting cheerfully. Foreigners, a boyfriend waiting for a kiss, painted high school girls, a young mothers' club composed of smiles and prams. And then a friendly face and a hug, as I became another meeting under the history of the rotating clock and we melted into the cityscape.
I also have a new friend from a faraway land. As we talked over a cup of coffee, we saw an old horse-drawn buggy glide by on the darkening street outside our picture window. The driver must have been a fan of Santa's style, or at least his facial hair! But we were absorbed in our tales and coffee, our stories of loves and losses. Unobtrusively, night curled around our little corner to eavesdrop before we even noticed he was there!
And now, my last meeting of the day is here with you. I wonder whether your day had as much of the unexpected and joyful as mine did. I hope your heart was warmed by a friend's touch and your funny bone tickled by the expressions of a stranger. I hope someone looked you in the eye and told you that you were wonderful. My wish is that you would fall sleep tonight with peaceful thoughts and wake to a new morning with irrepressible hope.
Until we meet again...
4 comments:
You truly are an exceptional person. Exceptional, I say!
:) Thanx, anonymous!
Thanks for a beautiful text. I hope we'll meet soon... Under the clock.
Am thinking of your couch already...
yay, Elli!
Our couch is looking forward to your visit. So are we!!!
We should meet under the clock and make a huge loud fuss! :)
Post a Comment