Pages

Tuesday, February 19

because i like 'em orange


spray of orange mist

as finger cuts through rind

transports me to tropical breezes

and gnarled old trees sporting fruit

where i sat and did my homework

at the backyard picnic table.

every slice carries

the refreshing and familiar

scent called knowing and being

known, no coverings, no questions

of the flavor waiting for discovery

under a sunny yellow rind.

peel and taste if you

will, but share with me and i'll

share with you until the peels are

gone and only the scent of orange

lingers, and the gnarled trees

are no longer only mine.


4 comments:

mreddie said...

One can almost smell citrus in the air as this is read - good one. Every year the Spice and I buy several boxes of oranges that the high school band sells as a fundraiser. My job as a husband is to keep my lady supplied with cut up orange pieces until the fruit runs out or ruins. This is not a test of love but it does make her very happy and I like to do that in any way I can. :) ec

Yours Truly said...

your comment put a smile on my face! the detail of cut up oranges from band fundraisers is a wonderful story.

One Runner Walking... said...

as always...love your poetry

I also love your new picture!

Yours Truly said...

thanks! the pic is from last spring, but it seems appropriate for this stage of life!
Hugz!